Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Narrows 2013

Our friend Dave Lebaron took us to a new climbing area called the Narrows.  It is out in Grantsville, Utah in the south willow Canyon. The climbing area isn't very large but the rock is amazing! There is a river running right under all the routes. We have been obsessed with this place the last few weeks.
 

Our dogs love to relax and hang out at this crag.


 
 Nathaly has been getting the hang of climbing. I think we got her hooked :)
I tried to take a nap. This was the best option. Looks like I was kidnapped. Haha

Nate being Nate.

We were trying to stick clip the first draw so that we didn't fall in the water.  Laura, Emily, and I seriously tried this for like 30 minutes. We finally asked one of the guys to help us. Bryce had it clipped in 3 minutes. We felt really silly.

Team "DAB" (DA, Andrew, & Bryce)


 My first 11 lead climb
This is Bryce having a little meditation by the rock before he worked his project. It must have worked because right after this picture, he sent "Dust" 13.B
 
 
My husband is the sweetest guy. He had this idea to climb to the top of the riverside climb and bolt himself into the chains so that he could get good pictures of me while I climbed up.  "Riverside" is my favorite climb. Its a 10.C and the route is amazing! It is so dynamic and unique. The first part is a bouldering overhang section. Then you go through a section of cracks and finish on a very exposed section that hangs over a river. Its beautiful! I still get nervous leading things because of my fear of heights. But I have been learning to overcome my fears. Not only was this an amazing climb but I got a kiss from the love of my life at the top! My life is perfect!
 

 
Clipping the chains is the most gratifying sound in the world.
 
 
 
At times I get discouraged about climbing and expect myself to be as good as the people around me.  I find myself getting upset that I'm short or weak.
All it takes is one climb to remind myself that those things don't matter. That is not why I fell in love with climbing. I don't climb to be the strongest or to always make it to the top. I climb because I truly enjoy it.  It brings me peace & happiness. It saved my life & soul.
The picture below is really corny but I felt like it shows exactly why I love to climb.  For far too long I let fear and self doubt cripple me from experiencing life at its fullest beauty.  Not only did climbing & being in nature offer me an escape from the chains of addiction but it allowed me to prove to myself what I am capable of achieving if I put my mind to it. When I am climbing I forget all my worries and stress.  Its the first time I have found a healthy escape.  When I am outside in nature or on the rock I feel alive! My heart fills with gratitude for the life I have been given. I have finally found happiness, peace, love for life, confidence, hope for my future. I HAVE FINALLY FOUND ME!
 
 


1 comment: