Thursday, February 13, 2014

Kauai 2014 Anini Beach & Honalei Bay

To start 2014 off right, my family did a trip to Kauai! I feel so grateful that we are able to have opportunities to experience trips like this as a family. So many wonderful memories are made. We went with my parents, the Watkins, and my Grandma & Grandpa Lee. 

The travel day was long and the time difference really took a toll on us. By time we got to Kauai we were all ready for bed. We ended up eating dinner at Costco. I know, out of everywhere in Hawaii, Costco! haha But we had to stock up on some food and we were too tired to go anywhere else. I must say, the view from Kauai's Costco is much more beautiful than Utah's. 

On the first day we went to Anini beach. I have never been to a beach where there were so many trees! Tree's right in the water, tree's to swing on, Trees everywhere! It was breathtaking!  We had fun paddle boarding, and playing on the beach. There were alot of people camping at this beach. One lady we talked to had been living in her tent for 2 years! It was so nice & relaxing. 









We saw many locals laying on the beach with tweezers looking for something on the ground. When we asked what they were doing they told us shell hunting. There are tiny little shells on Kauai called Kahelelani shells. They are only found in a small region of the Pacific. They wash up from a island nearby that is only accessible to Hawaiians. This is the only shell in the world that is classified as a gem and is insurable. I don't have any pictures of the shells but the locals were searching through all the broken shells and rocks all day long to find some Kahelelanis.











Next we went to Hanalei Bay. The kids had so much fun playing on the beach. We had fun trying surfing, paddleboarding, & boogie boarding. It's so much harder than it looks! I was proud that Bryce and I tried because before we left we said we were not going in the ocean. We both have a big phobia of sharks! haha Luckily, we didn't see any sharks. Bryce got a little too much raw skin from surfing haha.



I have never seen so many chickens in my life! The locals told us that chickens have no predators on this island so there are alot of them! He said 6 chickens for every human on the island. 




























I don't think my family can go anywhere without getting in trouble. Haha This was the SECOND time we were stopped by lifeguards. The first time, my mom and dad had to be rescued by a waverunner because the current took them too far out and they could't get back to shore. The waves are huge this time of year so everyone had to be very careful. 





My favorite Part of the entire trip was being with my nephews. They are so cute! I loved being around them. They remind me how important it is to love every minute of life and live life to the fullest. 















No comments:

Post a Comment